Monday, February 15, 2010

Call for Collaborators


My unfinished manuscript of poems, One Makes Many, needs illustrators.

Taking inspiration from my one-eyed hero & his second wife, I'd like One Makes Many to be a poetic-linguistic-imagistic project. Words themselves are images, & images words. Their interaction, I think, makes for a fuller experience of poetry as a living thing.

For an idea of my intention, dig the selection below from Robert Creeley & Bobbie Louise Hawkins'
Away:



Each one
its own imagination


"at best"

.

This


can be thought of?

of



Because I'm slightly blocked in the writerly sense at the moment, & because collaboration always jump-starts my process, I'm asking now for interested artists to offer a handful of pieces based on the already-written poems. Images could be drawn, painted, photographed, collaged -- Form, as Robert Creeley once said, is never more than an extension of content. All I ask is that the illustrations be a manifestation of yr particular reaction to the poems. To be able to see the way others read the poems will give me, quite literally, another set of eyes as I finish the project.

Ideally, once complete, the manuscript will be released in multiple editions, each version featuring the work of a different artist. In other words, this is not an audition. If I dig the work of 10 different artists, if the images & words work well together, there'll be 10 editions.

Interested, curious, excited or bored artists shld contact me (cjoyceryan@gmail.com) for a copy of the 10-page manuscript. Until then, dig the selections below, two untitled pieces, one a collage, the other a single poem:

This being here,
that being that we are
wound, winding within &
around our
selves, each
other .

*


if you are inside,
within this, you go
out, come back, out. in.
is that all?


*

open yr
eyes to open
mine. open
yr eyes.
We cannot come
out from
under

xxxxx(there is nothing but this

& all things
are answered in
their questions .

one makes many,
the world grown large
in its smallness &

now, alone,

xxxxxx(stop asking. & look

the form becomes
itself, no longer another,

clear now, &

open

No comments:

Post a Comment